A special tour has been announced focused on empowering women and supporting aid organisations helping women achieve their dreams in Uganda.
This amazing 10-night Uganda experience from 2 – 12 November 2019 has been created by Yvonne Verstandig, Co-Founder and Head of Leisure at Executive Edge Travel who will co-host the tour with Suzy Zail, internationally acclaimed author, best known for The Tattooed Flower, The Wrong Boy and Alexander Altmann A10567.
Suzy previously visited Uganda to learn about girls’ rights and found the inspiration for her next book I Am Change due for release in August 2019 which chronicles the tragic, yet empowering story of how a young Uganda girl finds her voice and the strength to fight for change.
This tour will culminate with four days of adventure including visits to remote tribal villages and gorilla trekking.
Whether searching for wild cats on safari, meeting a Ssenga, building a mud-hut for a disadvantaged family or being trained by a village elder to weave a basket, each experience will place travellers beside community members who will share their stories and provide hands on participation.
The tour will also include meetings with the following organisations, each of which is carrying out vital community work in Uganda:
Uganda Youth Alliance for Family Planning & Adolescent Health (UYAFPAH) – a not-for-profit organisation whose mission is to ensure quality sexual and reproductive health rights and well-being of young people in Uganda.
Concern for the Girl Child (CGC) – a national organisation committed to protecting, respecting and fulfilling the rights of vulnerable children and young people through provision of education and skills development, health, child protection, economic empowerment and psychological support.
Girl Child Network Uganda – working to support girls through educational empowerment, prevention of and rehabilitation from abuse and promotion of girls’ talent.
Action for Fundamental Change and Development (AAFCAD) – founded by four friends raised in Bwaise, one of Kampala’s poorest slums. AAFCAD runs three major programs on health, education and economic empowerment to bring about fundamental and sustainable change in the lives of slum youth through imparting technical, vocational and life skills.
The 10-night ‘Travel My Way’ To Uganda Women Empowering Women Journey experiences will include:
- Learning about obstacles preventing girls from reaching their potential and assisting aid organisations working to improve the lives of girls
- Touring the Bwaise slum, visiting schools and taking part in girls’ empowerment training
- Exploring markets, meeting a witchdoctor and attending a drumming workshop
- Painting with local artists, visiting fashion designers and learning Ugandan dances
- Enjoying interactive workshops, storytelling and discussion groups with leading female change-makers
- Spotting wildlife in open-top land cruisers in the Kidepo Valley National Park and tracking gorillas on foot in the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest
- Visiting remote villages, learning about and being immersed in tribal culture
- Helping build a house for local families
The tour is priced from USD11,235 per person twin share (and single supplement USD1840) including:
- 5 nights in Kampala at Emin Pasha Hotel
- 2 nights in Keidepo Valley National Park at Apoka Safari Lodge (including non-premium alcohol)
- 3 nights in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park at Clouds Mountain Gorilla Lodge (including non-premium alcohol)
- All meals throughout
- Selected Kampala activities
- Drumming session, yoga class, tribal dance, artist studio visit
- Game drives, walking safaris, Lorukal village tour in Kidepo
- Boat trip, gorilla trekking and community tour in Clouds
- A gorilla permit
- Gratuities to guides, drivers and hotel staff
- Donations and gifts for girls and organisations met on tour
- Park, ranger guide and conservation fees
- Community bed night fees
- Internal charter/scheduled flights including airport taxes (baggage restriction of 15kgs per person)
- Return group airport transfers
- All ground transportation throughout
- Amref Flying Doctors’ emergency evacuation on-call
For bookings and further information contact Yvonne Verstandig at Executive Edge Travel on 1300 618 334 or email@example.com